First Day in Luxor - 9/25

Hello! Once again, my name is Erin and I will be your tour guide for our first day in Luxor! It seems like I’m always the one blogging about our EXTREMELY early days, and this one was no different. Waking up at 4:30 am actually required me to set a new alarm for my phone, and it was quite the struggle to get out of bed in the middle of the dark. But after a quick one-hour flight, we all arrived in Luxor (aka home to Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, the Valley of the Kings, etc.) for a 3-day excursion. I think we all discovered a new definition of the word ‘hot’ today during our tour of Karnak Temple, and that only made our hotel pool feel all the more welcoming. However, besides the temples, ancient columns, and swimming pool, my first day in Luxor started off with quite the educational experience...

After initially getting settled into the Eatabe Hotel this morning, we hungry travelers headed out in search of a pastry for breakfast. However, the very minute we stepped outside, a man approached us asking where we were going. Not more than 30 seconds later, a horse and carriage pulled up alongside our group offering to take us to the market. No matter how much we ignored them or said, “No, thank you,” they persisted and kept following. At that moment, I felt completely self-aware as part of a group of 10 Americans…looking completely lost…having trouble even crossing the street…and EVERYONE was looking at us. Eventually after being swarmed and approached by nearly 10 other vendors, we were forced to give up our search for coffee. There was no hope of finding a pastry shop and our unexpected experience was completely new and overwhelming. Thank goodness for the delicious hotel breakfast buffet (think made-to-order omelets, ful, fresh watermelon, croissants galore!), but I still couldn’t help feeling defeated.


I have always prided myself on being independent and being able to explore wherever I choose, and this frustrating experience changed my view on things. I realize now just how much I’ve taken for granted my ability to walk by myself around the neighborhood back home, find my way to the local Caribou Coffee, and assert myself. But being in a foreign country and a new city with only enough Arabic to ask, “What’s your name?” has really forced me out of that comfortable mindset. I knew that I would experience culture shock on this journey, and I think today that really hit for the first time. So today was full of lots of information, lots of sun, and lots of eye-opening experiences, but I can only hope that next time I’ll be prepared enough to continue on and find that pastry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Family -12/1 Beijing, China

The last day

(12/18) Hanging Temple and a Bus-Ride Home